NEW Counselor in Training Program
Introducing our newest program for 8th and 9th graders this summer – BVSDC Counselor in Training! Now your tweenagers can have an opportunity to develop skills like group leadership, conflict management, team building, group management, and work experience. CITs will have a mentor throughout the week to guide them through daily training and support their growth as a junior counselor. CITs must attend at least 1 whole week of camp. At the end of the week they will present their own activity or community service project to camp. This is a free program to all accepted applicants. CITs may get volunteer hours signed off by the Camp Director.
- Participants must be going into 8th or 9th grade (13+)
- Must have previous camp experience or similar experience
- Must commit to at least 1 week of camp
- Not offered during the first week of camp
- Monday morning orientation led by a CIT mentor at 8am, then must attend staff meetings every morning before camp at 8:30am.
- Each day would include a new training topic lead by a mentor. Training topics would include how to lead activities, how to connect with kids, problem solving difficult situations, emergencies procedures, etc.
- Each day will conclude with debrief with a CIT mentor or Camp Director after camper check outs (about 3:30pm)
- At the end of the week, CITs must present a new activity or game idea and facilitates with camp or specific age group. An alternative option is to complete a community service project during the week and present to camp.
If you have a child interested in this program, you (or they) will need to create an account (click Register on the right). Once created, the CIT candidate will need to complete the Counselor in Training Questionnaire that can be found under the News tab of your new account. If you have any questions or are ready to submit your questionnaire, feel free to email the Camp Director at firstname.lastname@example.org